What is French Chardonnay like?
Chardonnay. … Expect these French Chardonnays to be very dry, light-bodied, and minerally with flavors of lime, lemon, starfruit, and subtle notes of spring blossoms and chalk. The other style was made famous by the region of Côte de Beaune in Burgundy and is traditionally oaked.
Is French Chardonnay buttery?
Malolactic fermentation is the process where malic acid, that is naturally present in grape must (containing the skins, seeds, and stems of the grapes), is converted to softer-tasting lactic acid; this is standard for Chardonnay, where it can impart a “buttery” flavour.
How do you describe the taste of Chardonnay?
What does Chardonnay taste like? … But typically, Chardonnay is a dry, medium- to full-bodied wine with moderate acidity and alcohol. Its flavors range from apple and lemon to papaya and pineapple, and it also shows notes of vanilla when it’s aged with oak.
Why is Chardonnay so popular?
The chardonnay grape itself contributes to the wine’s popularity. Made from green-skinned grapes, Chardonnay is a relatively “low-maintenance” vine that adapts well to a variety of climates, resulting in fairly high yields worldwide. These high yields translate into millions of bottles of Chardonnay wines.
Is Chardonnay good for beginners?
Sweetness ranges from dry reds and whites like Cabernet Sauvignon or Chardonnay to very sweet dessert wines such as Port. For many beginners, off-dry wines such as Moscato d’Asti and Pinot Noir are a great entree into wines.
What is the most expensive Chardonnay?
The 10 Most Expensive Chardonnay Wines You can Buy
- “Judgment of Paris” 1973 Chateau Montelena Chardonna – $11,325. …
- Domaine Leflaive Batard Montrachet Grand Cru – $5,923. …
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Montrachet Grand Cru, Cote de Beaune, France – $4,810. …
- Domaine Ramonet Montrachet Grand Cru, Cote de Beaune, France – $1,257.
What is the most buttery Chardonnay?
Best Buttery Chardonnay
- Melt Chardonnay. 4 out of 5 stars. …
- Simi Chardonnay. 4.6 out of 5 stars. …
- Vendange Chardonnay. 4.5 out of 5 stars. …
- Au Bon Climat Chardonnay S Barbara. 4.1 out of 5 stars. …
- Cambria Chardonnay Katherine’s Vineyard. …
- Ferrari-Carano Chardonnay Reserve. …
- Bonterra Chardonnay. …
- Neyers Chardonnay Carneros.
Why does Chardonnay taste bad?
Chardonnay doesn’t just naturally taste like a bad batch of beurre blanc. It’s actually one of the most neutral grapes in the world. This neutrality allows Chardonnay to be heavily influenced by where it is grown, picking up flavors and characteristics from its soil and climate (that terroir, babyyy).
Is Pouilly Fuissé Chardonnay?
Pouilly-Fuissé is the home of the finest white wines of southern Burgundy’s Maconnais district. They are produced exclusively from Chardonnay grapes grown in the communes of Chaintré, Fuissé, Solutré-Pouilly and Vergisson.
Is Chardonnay an alcohol?
Medium-High Alcohol Content (13.5%–14.5%)
You can thank warm climates and sweeter grapes for these boozy whites: Chardonnay from Australia, Chile and California; Pinot Gris and Sauvignon Blanc from California; and Sauternes from France.
What foods pair well with Chardonnay?
What foods pair well with chardonnay?
- Seafood with butter and brown-butter sauces.
- Sage-butter chicken.
- Chicken, especially baked chicken, fried chicken, grilled chicken, or chicken with a cream sauce.
- Grilled and roasted salmon.
- Grilled seafood of most kinds.